Monday, January 14, 2013

Finding Your Passion

In 2011 I took a break after finishing a significant IT project.  Sitting at a stop light  thinking about what I was going to do next this crazy voice in the back of my head told me to go visit Larry.  Huh?

"That's not so crazy" you might say, but Larry is for all intents and purposes a brain trapped in a body that doesn't work.  He is a multiple stroke survivor who is 90% immobile, cannot swallow or speak and must consume his meals through a feeding tube.  Larry is also completely lucid.  His fully functioning brain is trapped in a broken body that is completely dependent upon others.

Did I mention that he can hear but can't speak?  How do you visit with someone who can't  speak?  What do you talk about for 30 or 45 minutes?  What could I possibly bring to this situation that could make any significant difference?  This was way outside of my comfort zone.

As a result of stroke Larry has lost his ability to write, his only way to communicate, due to his degrading fine and gross motor skills.  Wanting to do something, anything, I started bringing my iPad when I would visit.  I was hoping to engage him in games that could restore his motor skills and give him back his ability to write.  What I quickly discovered was that most of the apps that could help were too complex and couldn't track his progress over time.

That was when I found my passion.  Realizing the existing tools and practices were inadequate I started developing an iPad app that might address the problem.  

Did you see what happened?  Stepping way outside my comfort zone forced me into  previously unknown surroundings.  The unknown surroundings revealed a need that wasn't being met.  The unmet need offered the opportunity to align skills and address the problem.

The next time you hear that crazy voice that makes no sense, but you just can't get out of your head, it might be an opportunity to find your passion.