Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Perfect Day

Ever find yourself frustrated at the end of the day wondering if you got anything done?  Have you tried every organizer possible and yet still can't seem to find your rhythm?  Join the club.  From what I can tell based on the number of organizers and self help and coaching books available it seems all of us at sometime need help getting into the rhythm of that perfect day.

The other morning before my day was getting started I had this brilliant idea of listing what my perfect day would look like.  What if I could make that happen?  I would feel great at the end of the day.  Here's what I listed as my perfect day.

Soul Food (Introspection or spiritual time) 
Coding (my work)
Blogging (giving back)
Exercise
Sharpening the Saw (learning; see Seven Habits by Covey)
Play / Family (meal times, playing catch, fun stuff)

Then I penciled out how those would fit into my day.  The amazing thing is I was able to fit them in and at the end of the day I felt like I had accomplished something.

If you find yourself at the end of the day feeling like you missed the boat or didn't accomplish anything stop and take a minute to make a list of what your perfect day would look like.  What are the areas you want to spend time on each day?  Then to the right of each item pencil in how long you want to spend on each area.  Then do it!

It worked for me.  Hope it works for you.